Ever end the day and feel like you’ve still got a to-list longer than a Leonard Cohen song?
A lot of people stress out about having too much to do, but often the REAL problem is perfectionism.
Perfectionism is SO damaging & robs us of our joy.
We’ve been conditioned to believe it’s a good thing, but IT’S NOT.
Author Elizabeth Gilbert says ”Perfection is just fear in high heels and a mink coat, pretending to be fancy. But it’s just terror.”
It’s like being a very strict parent to yourself – in effect saying “you have to be perfect for me to approve of you”
It’s sinister because it often hides behind a very pure motive of wanting to do a great job.
I understand the problem of perfectionism intimately because I’ve dealt with it for so much of my life.
Perfection shows up in lots of different ways…
* Setting yourself impossibly high standards & getting disappointed if you don’t reach them
* Forgetting the big picture & obsessing about small stuff
* Not stopping to celebrate small wins
* Thinking that everything is important right now
* Wanting to understand how everything fits together before taking bold action
Perfectionism is NOT…
A love of growth, excellence, improvement & development (these are a given for entrepreneurs)
There’s a big difference between excellence and perfectionism.
So how do you know if you’re being sucked into the perfectionism trap?
* You spend an unhealthy amount of time focusing on what’s wrong
* You overthink & overanalyse more than take action
* You waste time researching trying to figure out the BEST way
* You overwhelm yourself with all the details
* You take WAY too long on tasks that could be done much faster
* You get to the end of the week & realise you haven’t made progress in the things that REALLY matter.
We trick ourselves into thinking we’re working HARD, when we’re actually just working LONG…
There is rarely a best or ‘right’ way.
What if we give ourselves permission to experiment imperfectly & evolve as we go?
Ultimately, we’re here to make the world a better place.
We can’t do that if we’re trying to make little things perfect at the expense of more important things.
P.S. Whenever you’re ready… here are 3 ways I can help you grow your coaching business:
1. Grab a free copy of my ‘Client Attraction Checklist‘
It’s a powerful roadmap to attracting leads, signing clients, and scaling your coaching business. — Grab It Here
2. Join the community and connect with Coaches who are also growing their business
It’s our Facebook community where ambitious Coaches learn to get more income, influence, and impact. — Join Us Here
3. Work with me privately
If you’d like to find out how to work directly with me to grow your business fast… just send me a DM on Facebook with the word ‘strategy‘… tell me a little about your business and what you’d like to work on together, and I’ll get you the details! — Message Here
Leave a Reply