Healthy Carrot cake
I take this cake when I visit friends and no one believes that something so tasty has no sugar and is so low in calories!
2 cups fine rolled oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
50g walnut pieces + 25g for top of cake
350g carrots (approximately 2 large or 4 small)
6 large / 180ml egg whites
2 whole eggs
125g low fat vanilla yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g finely chopped dates (I use kitchen scissors)
Olive oil spray
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees / Gas 4.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Peel and grate carrots.
4. Blend egg whites, eggs, yoghurt and vanilla essence in a jug blender. Add to dry ingredients along with carrot and dates.
5. Spray olive oil around the edges of a shallow, non-stick cake pan and pour batter in. Top with more walnuts and lightly dusted cinnamon.
6. Bake for approximately 40-45 minutes, or when an inserted skewer comes out clean.
7. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack and cutting into slices.
Makes: 12 slices
Nutritional Info (per serve):
Calories – 181.0
Protein – 7.8
Carbohydrate – 21.1
Fat – 6.7
This recipe ‘Healthy carrot cake’ is low in calories, has no added sugar or artificial additives and is delicious!