Gluten-free apple cake
A low fat, easy to make spongy pudding, ideal for serving guests with a dollop of vanilla or natural yoghurt.
2.5 cups buckwheat flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 medium cooking apples
1 can (385g) apple pieces, unsweetened – or apple puree
250g low fat natural or vanilla yoghurt
12 large / 360ml liquid egg whites (or use 2 eggs + 500g low fat yoghurt instead of 250g or if you prefer)
1/2 tsp stevia powder (or 100g dates, if you don’t mind the extra calories)
1 tsp vanilla essence
75g walnut pieces
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees / gas 4.
2. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl.
3. Blend remaining ingredients except cooking apples and walnuts in a jug blender then add to the dry mix folding gently.
4. Chop apples into small chunks, or grate (peeling optional) and stir into batter, do not over mix.
5. Pour mixture into non-stick cake pan and top with the walnut pieces and an extra dusting of cinnamon.
6. Bake in oven for about 35-40 minutes, until firm to touch or when inserted skewer comes out dry.
7. Tip onto wire rack or chopping board. Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Nutritional Info (per serve, using stevia/12 egg whites):
Calories – 125
Protein – 5.9
Carbohydrate – 15.2
Fat – 3.5
This recipe ‘Gluten-free apple cake’ contains no artificial additives or sugar, is low in fat and calories and delicious!