Date and walnut loaf
Makes approximately 12 slices
Lovely for afternoon tea with a cuppa! Can be frozen and reheated in the microwave.
2 cups rolled oats
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
75g walnut pieces
100g dates or 100g date syrup
150g low-fat vanilla yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla essence
8 large / 250ml egg whites
Spray olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees / gas mark 4.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a jug blender, blend egg whites for about 1 minute then add the yoghurt, dates and vanilla essence. Alternatively, finely chop the dates with kitchen scissors and add at the end (if you prefer date pieces rather than them blended).
4. Fold this mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring gently until well combined. Pour batter into a non-stick silicon loaf pan.
5. Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
6. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before turning onto a wire rack and cutting into slices.
Nutritional Info (per serve):
Calories – 134
Protein – 5.8
Carbohydrate – 16.2
Fat – 4.8
This recipe ‘Date and walnut loaf’ is low in calories, has no added sugars, artificial ingredients or additives and is delicious!